Difference between CNA and LPN
An LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) and a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) holds an important position in the medical facilities. Many a times, students get confused in understanding these terms and they consider the profession of an LPN and a CNA as similar. But in fact, both of the professions are very different in terms of education, training, job responsibilities, scope of practice and pay scale. Continue reading this article, to know the difference between CNA and LPN.
CNA Vs LPN: A Quick Comparison Table
|Training||To become a certified nurse aide, students must take a training program, which usually lasts for 4 to 6 weeks and should be recognized by the concerned state.||To become a licensed practical nurse, students must complete the state accredited training program of 1-year. As compared to CNA training programs, the duration of clinical practice is greater in LPN training programs.|
|Certification and License||Certified nursing assistants do not require license for carrying out their job. But it is essential to obtain a certification. The state issues CNA certification to those students, who complete a CNA training program of specified time duration and qualify certification examination, conducted by the concerned state.||To work as a licensed practical nurse, it is essential to acquire an LPN license. To obtain an LPN license, students must complete the training program and qualify NCLEX-PN (National Council Licensure Examination- Practical Nurse).|
|Validity and Renewal of the Certificate/License
|From the date of issue, nurse aide certification remains valid for 2-years. In some of the states, it is mandatory to work as a paid nurse for specific hours, to get the CNA certification renewed.||Since issue date, LPN licensure remains valid for 2-years. To get their license renewed, LPNs have to continue their education for a particular time period and they have to work as a paid nursing employee also.|
|Scope of Practice||Nursing assistants work under the supervision of LPNs. A nurse aide cannot discharge the duties and responsibilities of a licensed practical nurse.||As compared to CNAs, the contact of LPNs with patients is more straight and direct. Licensed practical nurses can discharge the duties and responsibilities of a nurse aide.|
|Job Duties and Responsibilities||Nurse aides discharge the following responsibilities and duties:
||As compared to certified nursing assistants, LPNs perform more duties.
Besides performing these duties, LPNs also supervise the work of CNAs and provide training to new CNAs.
|Salary||Certified nurse aides may earn an income of $7 to $16 per hour.||The salary of an LPN is better than that of a CNA. Licensed practical nurse may earn $12 to $25 per hour.|
CNA Guide by States
- 10 Must Have Characteristics for a CNA
- 7 Tips to Boost your CNA Exam Score
- Accelerated CNA Programs & Requirements
- Best and Worst States to Work as a CNA
- Caregiver CNA: Education, Salary and Career Scope
- How to Become a CNA?
- CNA Agencies
- How to get a CNA card Updated?
- CNA- Career Advancement Options
- CNA Certification Exam
- CNA - Continuing Education
- Certified Nursing Assistants in Demand Globally
- Duties of a CNA Working in Home Health Care
- CNA Education
- CNA exam preparations
- Is CNA a Hard Job?
- CNA and HHA
- CNA Home Health Aide Jobs, Salary & Scope
- CNA Housekeeping Basics
- CNA Insurance
- CNA Job Description
- CNA Job Interview Tips
- CNA Licensing and Credentialing
- CNA License Transfer
- Become a CNA with Prometric Testing
- CNA Recertification
- Is CNA a Recession Proof Career?
- CNA Resume Cover Letter
- CNA Sample Resume
- CNA Scholarships and Grants
- CNA to LPN programs
- CNA to RN Programs
- CNA Training Cost
- CNA vs PCA: Differences
- How does a CNA spend a work day?
- CNAs and CPR
- Course Covered in CNA Classes
- Create CNA Resume?
- Demand of CNA Jobs in U.S.
- Difference between CNA and LPN
- Difference between CNA and PCT
- Difference between CNA and RN
- Difference between Medical Assistant and CNA
- Duties of a CNA
- Duties of a CNA Working in a Nursing Home
- Health Regulations and Ethics for CNAs
- Job Description of a Hospice CNA
- Hospital CNA
- Hospitals that Provide CNA Training
- How to become a CNA instructor
- How to choose Accredited CNA Schools
- How to find government grants for CNA training?
- How to get back Lost CNA Certification
- How to Get Your First CNA Job
- How to Pass CNA Certification Test?
- How to Pass Skills Test in CNA Exam?
- How to Switch to a New State CNA Registry?
- How to verify CNA Certification?
- Importance of Certified Nurse Aides in Medical Field
- Is CNA a Good Career Choice?
- Is CNA and STNA Same?
- Long-Term Care CNA Duties
- On-the-job CNA Training
- Online CNA Classes
- Online CNA Classes Vs Campus Classes
- Operating Room CNA Job Description
- Patient Care Tips for CNAs
- Pros and cons of being a CNA
- Red Cross CNA training
- Standard CNA Job Interview Questions
- Tips and Tricks for CNAs
- Tips for a Newly Hired CNA
- Top 5 Reasons to Choose a CNA Career
- Travel CNA Job Description
- What makes you a Good CNA?
- Where can a CNA Work?