Difference between CNA and RN
RN stands for Registered Nurse. Before entering in the field of nursing, it is essential for the students to understand the difference between CNA and RN. This will help them in planning for their career. This article differentiates between CNA and RN and will help you clarify your doubts.
CNA Vs RN: A Quick Comparison Table
|Education||For becoming a certified nursing assistant, a diploma in high school is essential.||For becoming a registered nurse, students require a diploma in high school and an ADN (associate degree in nursing) or BSN (Bachelor of Science in nursing) degree.|
|Certification/ License||Students may obtain CNA certification, after completing the training of a specific time period and passing the nurse aide certification exam, conducted by the state.||In order to obtain an RN licensure, students must pass a National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN), organized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing.|
|Job Level||Nursing assistants are considered as entry-level workers. They work under the direction of RNs and LPNs.||Registered nurses are considered as higher level workers. These professionals supervise the work of nurse aides and licensed practical nurses.|
|Job Responsibilities||Certified nurse aides provide basic care to the patients. They perform the following duties:
CNAs deal with routine activities of the patients.
|Registered nurses perform following duties:
These professionals deal with management, care plans and supervision.
|Working Alternatives||Nurse aides may work in a variety of settings, like rehabilitation centers, day care centers, assisted living centers, nursing homes, hospitals, clinics, etc.||RNs work in doctor鈥檚 offices or hospitals.|
|Career Advancement||A CNA does not get many opportunities for career advancement. After acquiring additional educational qualifications and training, they may become an LPN or RN.||RNs may assume the roles of management. They can work as nurse practitioners, after acquiring further training.|
|Scope of Practice||Certified nurse aides work under the direction of RNs. They cannot carry out the duties of a registered nurse.||RNs work more closely with the patients. Registered nurses can carry out the responsibilities and duties of a CNA.|
|Salary||According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), nursing assistants earned an average annual income of $24,010 and hourly income of $11.54, in the year 2010.||According to BLS, registered nurses earned an average annual income of $64,690 and hourly income of $31.10, in the year 2010.|
CNA Guide by States
- 10 Must Have Characteristics for a CNA
- 7 Tips to Boost your CNA Exam Score
- Accelerated CNA Programs & Requirements
- Best and Worst States to Work as a CNA
- Caregiver CNA: Education, Salary and Career Scope
- How to Become a CNA?
- CNA Agencies
- How to get a CNA card Updated?
- CNA- Career Advancement Options
- CNA Certification Exam
- CNA - Continuing Education
- Certified Nursing Assistants in Demand Globally
- Duties of a CNA Working in Home Health Care
- CNA Education
- CNA exam preparations
- Is CNA a Hard Job?
- CNA and HHA
- CNA Home Health Aide Jobs, Salary & Scope
- CNA Housekeeping Basics
- CNA Insurance
- CNA Job Description
- CNA Job Interview Tips
- CNA Licensing and Credentialing
- CNA License Transfer
- Become a CNA with Prometric Testing
- CNA Recertification
- Is CNA a Recession Proof Career?
- CNA Resume Cover Letter
- CNA Sample Resume
- CNA Scholarships and Grants
- CNA to LPN programs
- CNA to RN Programs
- CNA Training Cost
- CNA vs PCA: Differences
- How does a CNA spend a work day?
- CNAs and CPR
- Course Covered in CNA Classes
- Create CNA Resume?
- Demand of CNA Jobs in U.S.
- Difference between CNA and LPN
- Difference between CNA and PCT
- Difference between CNA and RN
- Difference between Medical Assistant and CNA
- Duties of a CNA
- Duties of a CNA Working in a Nursing Home
- Health Regulations and Ethics for CNAs
- Job Description of a Hospice CNA
- Hospital CNA
- Hospitals that Provide CNA Training
- How to become a CNA instructor
- How to choose Accredited CNA Schools
- How to find government grants for CNA training?
- How to get back Lost CNA Certification
- How to Get Your First CNA Job
- How to Pass CNA Certification Test?
- How to Pass Skills Test in CNA Exam?
- How to Switch to a New State CNA Registry?
- How to verify CNA Certification?
- Importance of Certified Nurse Aides in Medical Field
- Is CNA a Good Career Choice?
- Is CNA and STNA Same?
- Long-Term Care CNA Duties
- On-the-job CNA Training
- Online CNA Classes
- Online CNA Classes Vs Campus Classes
- Operating Room CNA Job Description
- Patient Care Tips for CNAs
- Pros and cons of being a CNA
- Red Cross CNA training
- Standard CNA Job Interview Questions
- Tips and Tricks for CNAs
- Tips for a Newly Hired CNA
- Top 5 Reasons to Choose a CNA Career
- Travel CNA Job Description
- What makes you a Good CNA?
- Where can a CNA Work?